Finishing the Scenery Forge Gothic Crypt

Last post, I started making my first building using the Scenery Forge Gotic mold.  The idea was an outdoor crypt/mausoleum/cemetery garden.

The next step is to texture the base.  I like to use Modge Podge, because it is cheap and is made for this kind of thing.  For the texture itself, I use model train ballast, a fine gravel.  After layering it on the Modge Podge, I let the whole thing dry for about half an hour, then apply a second, thick layer on top.  This makes for a sealed surface that won't flake off.

With the first layer of gravel

With the second layer of Modge Podge
Once that was dried, I paint three layers of paint onto the plaster: dark, mid-tone, and light.  (For those who are curious, it was Behr's "Adirondack Blue," "French Colony," and "Pixel White.")  Here's the final look: 


Once that was done, I painted the ground, first with dark brown acrylic craft paint, followed by tan, and then finally bone.

Then, I had a decision to make: what season to make the terrain?  With the popularity of Frostgrave, there is a lot more winter-themed terrain out there.  I considered a typical Spring/Fall effect, but finally decided to go with snow, in this case Games Workshop's snow flocking.

Finally, I used Hirst Arts mold #230, Clay Tile Roof Mold, to make a small roof for the crypt proper.  I attached it, figuring the building was really too small to play inside.  I applied three layers onto it, mostly a dark brown, blended up with a dark red.  Here's the final look:



I think the final build looks great, and was relatively easy to build.  Next time I'm going to try doing the resin infusion into the plaster.  Comments welcome!



Comments

Post a Comment