Saturday, January 14, 2012

VSF Walkers from Toys (WIP part one)

A while ago, I picked up a copy of When the Navy Walked, and even reviewed the game briefly.  I've always liked the "look" of the game (even if I had some critique of the actual layout of the book). Moreover, it is in the 15-20mm scale range, which tends to be pretty inexpensive.

The other thing I liked about it was the chance to perhaps move into a different niche of the hobby--scratchbuilding vehicles.  And not just any vehicles, but funky Victorian science-fiction vehicles.  And as this has been slow-cooking in my brain over the last year, I've been slowly picking out items mentally that I've seen in stores that might be converted.  Well today I saw two toys in the clearance section of the local big box store, both priced under $5 and I finally jumped.

The two figures are "Clockwork" from the Ben 10 TV show and "Shel" from the movie Green Lantern.  Shel was $3.50, Clockwork was $4.50.





Like a lot of the Ben 10 aliens, Clockwork has really smooth lines to fit the animation style, so he really needs some added detail.  Shel is practically good as-is, a rickety, spindly robot with a bulbous head.  To get Clockwork up to speed, I decided to add some rivets.  Now some use a hole punch and plasticard, and God love them, but I'm too lazy right now to do that so I just dropped $2.99 on a huge bag of 4mm googly eyes at the hobby store, as well as buy some 1/12" birch plywood to cut bases for the two figures.  WTNW doesn't have standardized bases for Capital units, so these will both be 2" by 4".

I glued the googly eyes in what I thought were appropriate places across Clockwork's body, making him look a bit like the mythical figure "Argus" (which might just end up his name as a VSF walker).  I used superglue and a cheap pair of plastic craft tweezers to make sure I didn't end up attaching a little bit of human flesh to the walker as well.

Shel, as I said earlier, really needed no work, so I attached him to the base using E-6000, which is a sort of clear multi-purpose thick, gummy glue.  I had a staff person at Hobby Lobby say that most of the staff carry one of these tubes around with them at all times in case of emergencies.  It is a lot thicker than superglue, and I felt that with the smooth plastic finish of the toys I needed something with a little more heft to attach them to the base.  Then it was my typical practice of covering the base with watered-down PVA glue and then a layer of model railroad ballast.  For a little variety I glued on a couple of chunks of terrarium gravel as well.


Now these guys are all ready for priming and painting, which I'll cover in part two.  Comments welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Me likey. Good thinking on the Shel. Had not thought of using him for that. Hopefully there are a mess of GL movie figs on clearance at such places that can be had at exploitative prices, and I can make myself an army of evil giant robots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pondering those Ben-10 figures just the other week, good call.

    And thanks for the tip on the E-6000. Will need to hunt that down as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These will work great for wtnw! Wonderful tutorial. I look forward to the final products.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...