This is my Geth Prime conversion for my friend's Mass Effect RPG campaign. It's a Tau Crisis suit painted up to look like the Geth Prime from the video game. It is, however, missing its head. That's because he wants me to magnetize it and I can not for the life of me put my hands on the small magnets in my workroom. They've vanished and I need to replace them or find them or something.
In the meantime, here is the Geth Prime in all its headless glory. I apologize for the photo as well. The battery in my digital camera died but now the big box store near me doesn't stock replacements, so I'll need to go find a Radio Shack or something.
One of the blogs on my blogroll for which I have a lot of respect is All Bones About It. Basically Chris is trying to paint every miniature he got in the original Reaper Bones Kickstarter (265 miniatures). I also got the Reaper Bones Kickstarter at the Vampire level, only without as many options, just a dragon and Cthulhu, meaning I only ("only") have 242 miniatures.
In the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" category, after following Chris through the first 100+ miniatures of his own collection, I decided to start my own process of getting through all the Bones I have. It didn't hurt that I also decided to cut way back on new purchases. It also didn't hurt that I wanted to paint more. And finally it didn't hurt that there's a new edition of D&D out, one that I might take for a spin.
Plus, it seems like I need to start a new blog every couple of years, so I started Dungeoncasting. It's all about making the cast of characters for my Dungeon. I'm at, well, twelve. Which is like 5%. But baby steps, right?
It was only after I finished painting this figure and needed to look up the name that I found out this miniature was supposed to be male, not that it matters since guys can wear light colors and be blond too, although I still think it is a female, not Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard. No matter. I'm not great on light colors, so I wanted to push my own abilities on this one. Fair marks, but clearly needing work.
It's been a while since I got some things painted, and I will freely admit to be continuing to putter around without much direction. After doing a ton of Shock Troopers, I thought I might consider an opposing force, and I have a ton of these Space Rangers (originally from ICE, now from EM4) kicking around. I stuck to a simple, almost retro color scheme, so I thought I'd do a retro basing as well. They don't look too bad for clunky Space Marine knockoffs.
This is the third and final round (for now) of the gas-mask/no helmet Shock Troopers. I've added 18 of the fellows to my ranks of these tan sci-fi soldiers, which is a pretty good run for the last few weeks.
What next? I have a bunch of zombie-like sci-fi figures to paint for a friend of mine. I'm doing a color test on one now to see how it turns out. I still have all the NQSYW guys to paint, and I have been thinking about doing some plaster casting again soon. We'll see.
Believe it or not, I managed to get six more of these fellows finished. My plan is to paint three units of six of these guys. There's no real logic behind the six-person squad--just how I organized them.
I'm glad to get them finished, not just because they get off my painting table but because it is nice to be getting back into this aspect of the hobby again.
Yesterday I said something along the lines of "hey, I need to get back to painting miniatures." What I really meant to say was "hey, I've got a bunch of partially painted miniatures I've been working on that should be done soon."
I love the Wargames Factor Shock Troops, and decided a while back to do a bunch that didn't have the gas-mask helmets but just the Tusken Raider looking heads. I'm not a huge fan of how they turned out, but they aren't terrible.
Sooner or later I'll figure out something to do with these guys and actually let them see some action.