Scenery Forge Gothic Mold

So if you're a longtime reader (and you got to go way back, apparently) you know I have been making terrain using Hirst Arts molds for almost two decades.  Their molds are wonderful, versatile, and durable.

Recently I discovered another similar company called Scenery Forge.  They also make RTV silicone molds for casting pieces with plaster to make wargaming and roleplaying game terrain.  Unlike Hirst Arts molds, which basically have you casting small blocks that can be assembled in countless ways, Scenery Forge molds have you casting larger pieces.  These pieces make assembling terrain quicker (and arguably sturdier).

So I decided to try it out.  For my first mold I bought Mold 61 Gotic.  It seemed the best one for doing both fantasy and science fiction terrain.  The mold itself has four main panels: a door, a windowless wall, and two panels with two open windows.  In addition are several crosses, a casket, a loads of other gothic detail pieces (including a few skulls). There is also a couple of angled pieces for doing sloped roofs.



On their website, they suggest using regular Plaster of Paris and reinforcing it by saturating the plaster with resin.  I tried regular Plaster of Paris, and found the pieces too fragile.  So I went back to dental plaster.

Various pieces set out to dry in the dehydrator

For those curious about such things, Scenery Forge is in Spain, and the pieces are in centimeters, not inches.  The main panels are 5cm wide, 7cm tall, and 1cm thick.  5cm is pretty close to 2 inches, so should fit fairly well with HA pieces should the need arise.

Also, for those familiar with HA molds, in order to fill all four panels and a few other pieces, you need to mix 60g of water and 180g Merlin's Magic dental plaster.  I like to use this silicon mixing bowl I got on Amazon.  Just saying.

My initial idea for a first build was something inspired by the sample of the Scenery Forge website, with a little bit of the Warhammer Garden of Morr thrown in.  The whole thing should take me less than half a dozen casts, with a couple of extra casts of the Hirst Arts Mold 230 Clay Tile Roof Mold thrown in.  Specifically, this build needs four doors, eight windows, four solid walls, Four corner columns, two angled pieces, and odd bits thrown in for detail.

The four courtyard walls and mausoleum assembled
So here is the build test-fitted together and on its base.


Next: painting and details!  Comments welcome!

Comments

  1. I just bought some of their molds, but they haven't shipped yet. I was worried it would be out of scale with my hirst arts scenery. Glad to hear they go together okay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment