First Look: MERCs

Sadly, no pics right now.  I don't post WIP pics too often, and besides most people can look up what an assembled Space Marine Razorback looks like.  But I did think I'd just check in with what I've been up to lately, on the topics of interest to readers of this blog.

I have built two Space Marine rhinos, a razorback, and a predator for my Brazen Claws army.  I magnetized the razorback turret and the predator side sponsons so that the weapons can be swapped out.  I had an extra razorback weapon mount from the large lot of used Space Marines I purchased (no idea why it was there, but it was).  I didn't magnetize the predator main turret; I'm not that adept at magnetizing models and I don't see myself going for the twin-mounted lascannon all that often.  If I change my mind I can also buy the turret sprue online.

I also got the foam trays for my Sabol Army Transport ripped out and ready to go.  I've got an older model of the Army Transport that opens on the top, but I can see the advantage of a side-opening container.  But now the Brazen Claws can travel to their weekly thumping together in style.

I bought on an impulse a copy of the wargame MERCs.  MERCs is a sci-fi skirmish game in which each side only fields five 28mm miniatures on a 2' by 3' board (some use 3' square).  The background is pretty standard for your cyberpunk dystopia: mega-corporations rule the world, jockeying for technology, resources, or things like the Panama Canal.  Each player plays a team of MERCs from one of the megacons or the independent mercenaries.  The rulebook is a huge, richly illustrated brick of a book for a skirmish game that only lists four factions, but full-color photos and ample artwork make up the bulk of it.  I haven't read it enough to judge the rules, but I will share with out the big quirk of this game.  In addition to the five miniatures, none of which can be duplicated on a team, you also need cards for each of the miniatures, which are sold separately.  These cards cover not only the miniatures stats (not shown in the rulebook), but are also used for calculating movement, weapon ranges, blast radii, and a host of other things.  The writers of the game claim their forcing you to the use the cards is altruistic, since it spares you having to buy and lug around an army book, a tape measure, blast templates, etc.  You can get the rulebook for $30, a complete set of cards for the existing miniatures in a given faction for $7, and each miniature will run you $8-10, depending on where you get them.  Each faction has five or six miniatures so far, so you'll basically need to buy one of everyone one you can in the faction.  Total cost to play is about $80, if you buy your own copy of the rules.

The figures look great, but I'm aware that the producers of the game clearly believe in the "Sci-Fi Tax" that seems to be applied to all sci-fi miniature lines.  I wonder how much variety can be in a game that doesn't have a lot of flexibility in the army lists, but I'll know better after I finish the rules.

Comments

  1. You coming to Recruits this weekend in Lees Summit? Lots of gaming - and not just WH40K

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, but I can't make it on account of working both Saturday and Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment