Sunday, July 28, 2013

Casting Day

So as you may know I've been starting a "Not Quite Seven Years War" project along with Bill from Wargaming from an Armchair.  Well we both had a free morning  and we decided to get together to do some major casting from Prince August molds.

It turned out to be an unseasonably cool day for late July, which was perfect for laboring for three or four hours over a hot cauldron of lead alloy,   By the time we were done with lunch, we had each cast about thirty figures, meaning around two companies a piece by the "Charge" rules.  I had one regular hat men of 18 and another of Grenadiers.



Of course, now it's time for painting.  Stay tuned!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Belgian Askaris with Fezzes


I'm juggling quite a few projects right now.  In addition to casting all those new 40mm miniatures and painting 1:72 ACW guys, I'm also throwing together a GASLIGHT force for the odd pick-up game of Victorian Science Fiction.  Since I've spent a bit of money the last few months on my hobbies, I thought I would just use what I've got for GASLIGHT.

Thankfully I was really into VSF back a few years ago, during which time I picked up a bunch of Wargames Foundry figures on clearance at a RC plane/model train store that had decided at one point to foolishly dabble in historicals.  For the better part of a decade the blisters languished unpainted in bins.  Now, however, they have a new lease on life as part of my "don't spend a lot of money on this project" project.

These guys will form part of a single askari unit, along with probably two regular soldiers and a handful of characters.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The first five


Here's a pic of the first five Prince August figures I've cast for my "Not Quite the Seven Years War" project.  I bought a handful of molds from a dealer and found two used ones online to get me starter, along with a simple casting kit, some lead-free metal, and a portable electric hotplate.  I had a few failed casts in there, mostly as I learned the right way to prepare and clamp the molds, but I'm hoping I have a solid technique down.

Anyways, I'm having a ton of fun with this project.  Now I need to figure out a uniform color scheme and start painting.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Pitting

I've been doing some casting, and the last couple of casts showed signs of pitting, which is little orange skin-like dimples on the metal.  Am I not adding enough talc?  Clamping too hard?  What?

Saturday, July 13, 2013

My Top Secret Project

Okay, here's the big clue:


Yep, I'm building my own army.  One I'm casting entirely on my own (or with a little help).  I'm going to build an imaginary nation along the lines of other's "Not Quite the Seven Years War" projects.  I've picked up a handful of molds and the casting material and begun the slow process of making these figures one at a time.  Hopefully Bill and I can do a "casting party" and crank out a bunch in one sitting.

Anyways, more to follow!

Friday, July 5, 2013

Pics from KantCon



KantCon is a RPG-oriented gaming convention in Kansas City, but there is a guy who has been running scenarios there based on the old miniatures game from the movie Aliens.   I had a chance to play and take some pics. 






It's a quick little game, very easy to run and do with a lot of people, making it perfect for conventions.  The three tables, each matching a scene from the movie, are obviously a labor of love.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The first sprue of ACW Confederates


Hey, I got twenty more ACW Rebels (1/72 Imex plastics) painted up.  I'm working on bases, and may use some 30mm by 60mm bases I have lying around for Hordes of the Things, since that's pretty close and I don't want to go out and buy new ones.

So, onto the next sprue, although I'm also bouncing over to the my GASLIGHT project, and the pile of miniatures I got from my Reaper Bones Kickstarter.  Too many options...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...